In Australia, there are over 585,000 international students studying at universities and other educational institutions. That is about 25% of the total number of students studying in Australia.
So it is evident that international students contribute a lot to the country’s economy by way of foreign exchange. Apart from that they also help Australian universities to remain competitive with others in the world
To be part of this international student group, you should first take admission to a university or college that has the recognition of NARIC (UK)
- The first thing to do is to apply for an Australian student visa. Apply for this visa only after getting your educational institution’s confirmation letter because the timing for applying for this visa is limited
- If you are an Pakistani student, the University of Sydney would be your best choice because it has a lot of successful alumni in India (e.g., VinodKhosla). It is also ranked the third most international university in Australia. But if you are looking for more options then I would recommend that you can visit an educational agent in Hyderabad to have a wider choice
- In case you are looking for scholarships, then I would recommend that you apply for the Sydney University International Merit Scholarship.
- This scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic merit and your citizenship does not play a role in this regard. So even if you are an international student, you can apply for this scholarship
- Now if you have been awarded a scholarship, it is time to negotiate the terms and conditions of your offer letter with your selected university. In Australia, there are two types of fees that you will need to pay. The first one is the tuition fee which is charged by all universities from all students whether international or local. The second fee is called VET FEE-HELP which is charged by some universities to international students.
- The tuition fee can be paid while you are taking your course or it can be deducted from the first salary that you will get after graduating from the university. On the other hand, VET FEE-HELP has to be paid by you. It should be noted that the Australian Government will pay only 50% of this fee while you will have to pay the remaining 50%.
- After having successfully cleared all these fees, now it is time for your university’s orientation before coming down to Australia for studies. This orientation includes things like how to get a student visa, how to make an appointment with a health care provider, where to buy your books, and other things.
- After the completion of your studies in Australia, don’t forget to file a tax return at the end of each financial year because you will be eligible for a HELP DEBT OVERSEAS CONVERSION SCHEME which will convert all or part of your HELP DEBT to an interest-free loan.